Offered to ages 7-70+
Pre-requisite: None (first time students under 10 should be accompanied by an adult)
This is a where the trail begins. Students will be introduced to the natural world in a new and exciting way and given a chance to experience their own relationship with the Forest and those animals who live there. The building blocks of this new relationship are rooted in the ancient Primitive Living Skills that were lived by all people throughout the world. During this week-long course, we teach the following skills:
- debris hut shelter - a stick and leaf shelter built from surrounding materials
- bow drill fire - a method of fire-making without matches
- techniques of finding and gathering safe drinking water in the woods
- stalking and movement - the art of moving silently and unseen in the forest
- an introduction to the vast methods of tracking and sensory activities
- nature awareness and observation
- an effective use of field guides
- methods of naturalist journaling
- animal study - through body movement and performance
- the philosophy of living with the earth - taught through storytelling and caretaker principles
Above all, the most important skill is the cultivation of the imagination and the wonder of a Questioning mind. We will teach these skills entirely through hands-on and experiential learning techniques.
This course is also open to families and Grandparents to attend with their children or grandchildren. This positive experience produces lasting results where the parent and child continue to grow together long after they have returned home. Adults and parents are in separate learning groups from the youth and teens while some evening activities and all meals are shared together.
All of our programs are also open to students with Special Needs, we encourage parents to contact us directly so that we may best accommodate each individual.
Tuition: $675 per week
$985 for 2 people (child with parent or guardian)
$500 for each additional family member
Location: Earth Teach Forest Park, Ashland, Oregon 97520